BigGirlsDoTri

A site dedicated to encouraging people to reach for their individual dreams and share my own journey as I attempt to go from a 5'2" 297pound first time triathlon finisher, to an Ironman[woman :-)].

Friday, April 01, 2011

Life & Beauty


It has been awhile since my last post. The crazy communication issues have run somewhere between disturbing and comical, depending upon the day and my mood. Thankfully, my computer is fixed and healthy now by way of interesting circumstance, a story for another day.

These past few weeks I have had the opportunity to continue classes at the A.R.E. and meet some really wonderful people. The highlight was sitting in a small group of people talking about their experience with life with working with the Cayce material, including June, a 90 year old woman (you would never know it by her youthful face, attitude and schedule). June moved from Michigan to Virginia Beach at the age of twenty three with her husband Harmon and worked with and befriended Edgar Cayce in the last nine months of his life. She shared stories and memories I will never forget both of readings she witnessed and walks with Mr. Cayce where he would share a bit of what it was like to see through his eyes. After sixty seven years her eyes still lit up while telling these stories. You could feel the love and dedication to this friendship, and to the continuation of the work. It was truly an honor and joy to sit in her presence. It also reminded me of the importance of cherishing the people in our lives, all are teachers. It also made me think of the abundance of beautiful people in my life, and the truly wondrous experiences I've had with them. I want to always remember and honor them and hopefully someday inspire through sharing my gratitude with others, as June did with us.

This past week was very interesting. My classes really did turn into a theme and journey of their own. It started with a Feng Shui class and being reminded of the desire of a free flow of energy, keeping things uncluttered, and the remembrance that surrounding ourselves in only that which we see as beautiful can truly lift the vibration around us, and within us. The next class, a bit of a swing of the pendulum was the lost years of Jesus, discussing the time between the temple and his return as the great teacher and healer prior to the Passion and Resurrection. We learned of three different perspectives from the point of view of the Cayce readings, the Aquarian Bible, and the Life of St. Issa. Though each perspective had differences, their were overlaps from which you could not help but feel truth shining through. That is one of the things that I love about this trip. I have had the time to look at many sources and subjects of interest, and when you see some of the same themes come through again and again, you can't help but to feel more validation in regards to our true Oneness.

Monday provided another delight as I was able to attend an art history class, facilitated by Diana who works and volunteers at the A.R.E. The readings are so vast that it can sometimes be overwhelming to decide where to start in your study of them. One way Diana chooses to do so is through her love of art. The Cayce readings brought up a number of times the importance of the arts. Diana put together a wonderful presentation of pieces from Van Gogh to ancient Egyptian art and correlated each piece to a Cayce reading. The works, along with her passionate yet meditative voice created a truly magical experience.

The next morning I woke early, and not being able to fall back to sleep, decided to get up and walk. I wasn't feeling very well, but I have been trying to avoid taking unnecessary medication. I have been following a regimen from an Andrew Jackson Davis book I have been reading, suggesting a walk before the sunrise, going home drinking warm water, going back to bed for an hour, the rising and having a light breakfast to aid in digestion and overall wellness. I have found this to work over and over in my time here, and felt it appropriate this morning. It was a beautiful sunrise during this brisk but invigorating morning walk. I was grateful to experience it. Then about halfway through I had an upsetting run in with someone. I began to let it ruin my day. I felt sick again, and angry that I couldn't seem to find a way to let it go. It wasn't a major deal, but it seemed to activate memories that overloaded everything else. I found myself unable to stop the tears from flowing. When I got back to the hotel I sat on the porch, allowing the sun to wash over me. The warmth felt peaceful, and the light protective. It reminded me of the title of the John Edward book: "What if God were the Sun?". I found comfort in that thought at the time, and even closer to God. It was a very healing moment for me, allowing time and light to heal my lapse from peace. I went in feeling able to rest once again.

Upon waking, I allowed some of the unsettled feelings to flow back in and fester. I knew this wasn't helpful. I remembered the readings we had studied and the idea of how being surrounded by beauty or doing something creative raises your vibration and brings you closer to our true spiritual selves. I decided to go to the art museum in Norfolk, which I had heard had an amazing collection. I arrived at the Chrysler Museum, happy to find the perfect parking spot. The tree in the side yard was majestic and strong and the statue out front poignant in regards to how I was feeling. I knew I was in the right place. I approached the front door, and found they were closed on Tuesdays. I felt a bit defeated until a poster caught my eyes. I walked more closely and saw it was promoting a temporary exhibit that had just opened: "The Life of Christ" by James Tissot. The painting was Christ at the top of a staircase on a mountain surrounded by the night sky, illuminated by stars. I felt comfort once again, and on Wednesday returned for the exhibit

The exhibit was truly breathtaking. The dedication of the artist to this project, along with the story of the rededication of his life through this work was so inspiring. The artist didn't agree with the fashion of the time depicting the holy with external halos, yet you could absolutely see the brightness he used to depict a light coming from within Jesus, which reminded me over and over again of the light, and the Spirit, the God within all of us.

I reflected upon the pattern of events that unfolded this past week. The wonderful new information I received in my classes made my experience at the museum so much richer than had I not taken them before I went. It also made me realize that had I not been through that unpleasantness the other morning that brought me to the museum, I would not have witnessed the pure perfection of it all.

...........................................................................
Speaking of perfection-THANK YOU to all my friends who have been listening to me, and supporting me in so many ways that I will never be able to thank you enough. I love you guys!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer McNeil said...

Thank you for sharing all of this April. Thank you for writing about your gift of light and perseverance, you listen when others cannot. Love you.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home