BigGirlsDoTri

A site dedicated to encouraging people to reach for their individual dreams and share my own journey as I attempt to go from a 5'2" 297pound first time triathlon finisher, to an Ironman[woman :-)].

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A Labyrinth is Not a Maze


A Labyrinth is Not a Maze



Anyone who has been on a Labyrinth adventure with me, is probably laughing because somehow anytime I’ve walked a labyrinth, I’ve always gotten off track. A labyrinth has a definite path that can be followed, and they are often helpful for meditation, focus, and contemplation. Anytime I attempted one though, either through distraction, or stepping off the path to let someone else walk by, I found myself crossing an area I already went through before reaching the center, realizing that somewhere along the line, I had seemingly made a mistake. I’ve thought about this a lot since my last update.



After writing my blog last week that I labeled “Chaos and Harmony”, I found it interesting that “chaos” was one of the key topics in a class I took that afternoon at the A.R.E. The title of the class was “Mind is the Builder”. This came from some of the recurring themes in the Cayce readings, being “Spirit is the life. Mind is the builder. Physical is the result.” We discussed the law of attraction, and manifesting, along with the mind, body, spirit connection on both physical and esoteric levels. A large part of the conversation though was about how chaos actually gives us the opportunity to elevate our stress threshold and grow spiritually. Though I don’t advocate seeking out or attracting drama in order to grow, it did make me reflect upon my experience upon arrival in Virginia. Before I left home, people would ask me about my goals for while I was away and what I wanted to accomplish before coming home, and I kept saying that I wanted to come back stronger. Now I felt in saying it, that I wanted to come back physically healthier and stronger, but I think the deeper part of me must have meant it on a much broader level. As my family and friends know, I don’t have much of an issue arguing with those I am really close to and love and trust the most(lucky them L ), but I have often held back from confrontation in most other areas, even when it meant not sticking up for myself, or even really putting myself down. The situations that occurred upon my arrival gave me the opportunity to speak up for myself, as I was the only one that was going to do it. Often times in the past, others would step in on my behalf, feeling I would shy away from defending myself or advocating for myself. Here it was only me. It wasn’t necessarily comfortable, but it was a step towards growth. Although I can still review and see that I could maybe have chosen some words differently to handle situations, the feeling was still better than had I let myself be taken advantage of, and I have tools to help me be able to respond to future situations in a more capable way. In effect, the universe had answered my request to move forward, whether I realized I had dialed or not. That is the perfection.



Coming back to the labyrinth, my recent opportunity for observation has allowed me to contemplate my path of life has corresponded with my labyrinth experiences. I often have many interests, and also sometimes get caught up in other’s interests. Sometimes I step off my set road to seek something else that intrigues me in the distance, sometimes I step back for someone else whether it be for selfless reasons or admittedly many times-selfish indulgence, sometimes fear, sometimes excitement. In the end though I have always found a way through the labyrinth, either by getting back on the path and completing it, skipping out, or starting over.



There is a labyrinth at the Cayce Center, and my first few attempts were cut short as I wandered off the path, or moved over for someone crossing, and found myself on an alternate route. I found this frustrating because I just wanted to finish, for once without having to start over, or giving up.



In class we also spoke about programs that we have running in our lives, either from past life experiences that our souls have carried over, or programs/beliefs that are taught to us as children, or that we create through previous consequences of our actions or inactions. We also spoke about how we have a choice to reprogram our thoughts and beliefs, and to let go of that which no longer serves our overall growth. I thought about how quite literally my first remembrances of labyrinths were from movies and stories where the labyrinths were actually mazes, often with frightening obstacles and tricks along the way, trying to distract those who were journeying through. When I next went to walk the labyrinth at the A.R.E. I reminded myself of the reality of the clarity of the path, that I only had to take one step at a time and I would make it through. I did not have to run the same program that had been previously running. I also reminded myself of the beauty, and of all that I had learned the many times I did stray from the path in life, and that there need be no guilt if I had to take a few extra steps, or start over. I took a breath, stepped in, and minutes later found myself in the center of the labyrinth with the beautifully painted dolphins forming the shape of the Yin Yang symbol, all excited I made it through.



On the way out, a couple had entered the path. It is close quarters, so you do need to step aside for one another, and often find yourself walking right next to one another as the paths wind side by side. I started to feel the nervousness build up. Being my size, I often feel in the way. It is common courtesy to step aside for people, but as often happened in the past, instead of stepping aside, I would walk away. I stepped aside to allow the couple to go by when we were crossing exact paths, but as we wound around side by side, though sometimes the closeness felt a little awkward, I was reminded that I chose that path, and somewhere along the line they chose to be along side me for that small part of our journey, and it was safe and ok for all of us to have that experience together. Minutes later, I successfully exited the labyrinth, took a grateful breath and took the next step on the larger path.



Yes, it probably sounds like I have a little too much time to spend in my head J. But in truth, it has been helpful to realize that times spent experimenting whether it be in hobbies, school, jobs, diet, philosophy, religion, lifestyles, hair colors ;) are not lost, they are experiences to learn from, and when you find what works, what fulfills you and brings you peace and joy and strength, it is also ok to allow yourself, encourage yourself even, to spend some extra time on that path. That is where I am at now: Grateful for the time to explore, grateful for the family of both family and friends, teachers, and Spirit who back me up, inspire me, lift me or ground me. Thanks for being beside me through the peace of the labyrinth, the questioning of the maze, and the placidness of those exquisite moments when we recognize the spirit in each other.





Week 2 Overiview



Feeling more comfortable.

Continuing daily meditation, though finding it sometimes takes longer to get to alpha than before.

Classes: Always Young, Reincarnation Unnecessary?, Meditation

Movies: The Fighter, both heartbreaking at times and truly inspiring, Unknown-Keeps your interest, Gnomeo & Juliet-sweet and fun, Big Momma- laughs, but enjoyed the musical aspect of it more, Hall Pass- Some crazy laughing out loud-though mostly bathroom humor, mixed with serious issues.

Books: Started Harbinger of Health by Andrew Jackson Davis. I am fascinated by the amount of information on all aspects of health and natural laws. I find it really interesting that it took me coming here to get this excited about one of the founders of modern Spiritualism. Extremely grateful to have found this book and window into this aspect of his work.

Delving deeper into the Cayce readings, comparing health info with that which came through AJD.

Enjoying Memorial Spiritualist Church.

Weight/Health: Down 6 more pounds. Continued Western Yoga, but have not ventured into Eastern yet, started weight training, continued daily cardio, working with Alkaline diet, blood sugars improving exponentially. Climbed Mt. Trashmore.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kathy Lowry said...

Hi April- I really enjoy reading your blog. Your experiences are interesting and thought provoking.I especially resonate with your need to connect on deeper levels with yourself. Love you, Kathy L.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home