BigGirlsDoTri

A site dedicated to encouraging people to reach for their individual dreams and share my own journey as I attempt to go from a 5'2" 297pound first time triathlon finisher, to an Ironman[woman :-)].

Monday, July 18, 2011

Time to Get Real

It's time to get real. As I stated in my last blog it does not help to beat yourself up for the past, but what I am realizing today is the importance of not being afraid to look at the full truth in order to move ahead.

I am facing the harsh reality of my neglect of consistent healthy living. A few years ago, I looked at my obesity as more of a social situation for me than a health one. Although I knew on the charts my BMI was extremely dangerous, my labs had always been good, I did a lot more exercise than most people I knew and enjoyed extremely good health for most people my age, and definitely for someone of my size.

I always felt I needed to change to feel good about myself, but felt as long as I stayed active that the other symptoms that catch up to many people with my weight and sporadic eating habits weren't going to affect me as much. I mention this because I hope that if someone needs to read this that they will realize how quickly things can pile up. I don't say this to create fear but more so as placing out an option to think about, being: Don't wait! Do what you can while you have your full health.

Now I am not trying to alarm. I have not had a heart attack or anything like that, but I do have a number of conditions that complicate the mission. Over two years I have developed Type II diabetes, elevated cholesterol, fatty liver(which could also be result of former lifestyle issues). Over the past few months I have developed a treatment resistant kidney stone in one kidney & a benign tumor in the other kidney. I've also found that there were pre-cancerous conditions in my uterus which I am being treated for, and thankfully all will be well with the proactive care.

This is not meant to be a "poor me" blog, as I said, all of these conditions should be able to be tackled or eased with the proper lifestyle and care. It is just more complicated than it may have been a few years back. Every medicine has the possibilty of side effects, and many have reactions with one another. You may take one to control blood sugar, and another to prevent cancer, but it raises blood sugar. You make changes toy your diet, but are on a medication that also can cause you to gain weight. You may take a medication to protect a kidney, but that may affect your liver. You get the point I am sure. The one common bond between each of my conditions is that they can either be caused by the excess weight(even endometrial cancer, which surprised me until I read the chemistry of how it can be caused and spread.), or exacerbated by it. In addition the weight and diabetes often need to be considered when looking at surgical and other options due to the risk of infection and many other possibilities.

I don't enjoy giving energy to these details. I realize that with work,healing, good food choices, and prayers I can hopefully reverse most of these conditions, and any that aren't practical for me to do so, I believe that Spirit can help, as long as I do my part. That is my suggestion right now, is to do our part when it is easier rather than wait until it's more complicated. I understand that weight is often a mask for underlying issues, so in that sense, it may never feel easy to deal with it, but why complicate things further for us? I am sending the prayer and intention out there for all who are struggling with weight, food or inactivity issues that you receive the support and guidance from every guiding force in your life and soul that you may find greater health with ease and joy.

I am grateful for my wake up call. Granted the phone has been ringing for a long time, but I am finally answering. Today is the first day of....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home